Wednesday, December 5, 2012

From Mendoza to Chile



I left Mendoza as the Andes called loudly. I rode for three days and camped for two nights in the mountains and one night in Chile just outside the mountains. In the final two days I faced the strongest headwind I had ever faced, and combined with steep climbing and altitude, there were moments when I resigned myself to spending my life on the mountain attempting to finish. On the last day as I rose higher in altitude, I would receive mixed messages as to the distance to Chile. Some said 4km, some said 40km, some said the tunnel was 1km, some said the tunnel was much longer.

On my first day riding out of Mendoza I had stopped earlier at a gas station in Portretillos to fill up my water bag and buy a beer and a packet of cookies. I then went nearby for cheese, wine, and dried plums. I spoke to the gas station owner about the terrain and he said it was hard rolling hills and then a steep climb into Chile with hard winds. I drank my beer at his station and then moved on to the shop nearby and awakened a man from his siesta for local swiss cheese, a bottle of sweet wine, and a bag of local prunes. All made for a magnificent dinner in the tent. I rode canons and mountains and along a river fora nother 35km and found a mild slope opposite the river. My water bag bust while pushing the bike upslope—I may need to revise my large waterbag system in Patagonia. The flattest spot I could find was a slight descending slope and I did not sleep well.


The next morning the ride to Uspallata was pleasant and sunny and no wind and cool weather. I filled up my waterbag with two liters at a gas station, spoke with the attendant about the ride to Chile, and he wished me well as I left. Passing Uspallata I noticed many cabins for rent, many hotels, and two hostels. It was a well-to-do tourist town in the mountains, not too far from two popular starting points for the climb to Aconcagua. At a tienda I bought provisions and ate some roasted chicken and three beef empenadas, which were excellent. I stray dog was the recipient of some chicken scraps. As I pulled away, my rear tire was flat—in several places metal wire had penetrated the tire. I pulled the wire out with plies and patched and changed the tire. A woman from the store noted I must have much money to travel as I do. I told her my costs were mostly food—which in Argentina has mostly been the case. I bought two apples down the road and then began a slow climb. I was weary and not motivated to climb much more. Suddenly a violent headwind hit me face on in the climb. I continued on, confused and discouraged. Yet the Andes would change color, shades of green-tan, red-chalk-yellow, severe peaks and snow-capped heights and snow melt running of the face of height and worn silt of peaks crumbling down to the river cliff canyons below and the sun shaping the shadows and reliefs as it passed over the old mountains. The beauty encouraged me and I pushed on to the wind. 5 hours later I had made it 51 kilometers and I stopped at Polvaredas to fill up my 6 liter water bag from a faucet. The town was perched in a fantastically—black and wet Andes to the North and a chalky brown crumble of the Andes to the South along a canyon and rushing river below. The town’s two kiosks were closed as it was only 6 in the evening. I had food though, and pushed on for a camp ground. 3km outside of town the winds began again and I decided I had enough and looked for a place to sleep. I spotted something promising off the side of the road, some bushes on sharp rock, but as I was about to scout, a police on a scooter stopped to speak with me. I told him of my journey and my want to camp and he told me I could return to Plvaredas and he would offer me the police station’s yard or I could continue 10km to Punta de Vacas, where there was a military compound and camping. I rode a weary and windy climb to Punta de Vacas but I was in great luck—a provincial park, popular for those choosing the more difficult, technical approach to Aconcagua. Christian, from Mendoza, a young man in his mid-twenties, has been working in the parks for 2 years, his last in Punta de Vacas. He offered me the land in back of his cargo container shelter and asked of my journey and then wished me well. I ate two cans of beans, crackers, mayonnaise, and cookies for dinner.I slept well, awakened a few times during the night as the wind seemed as if it would tear apart the tend. Could the wind continue in the night and even early in the morning?

Christian, the young man at the provincial part station here, said that Chile is “all mountain and sea.” 

The wind began immediately and ferocious. I said goodbye to Paulo and Chistian at the park and rolled past the military base. I rose high into the Andes and never was there a moment when the wind did not hit my face. You could start as early as you wanted in the morning: the wind would be there. The wind was there at night as it blew my tent. I would climb for the day in the sun and wind and mid-day found a small pueblo that was hosting a downhill mountain bike race. The riders were well-equiped and the town was a popular ski attraction in the winter. I drank coffee and ate bread and the hosts were compliant but not friendly. I rode on to the next town and it was filled with tourists, most of them from Argentina and Chile. I asked a dim-witted man for a tienda and he misdirected me. When I found the tienda, I spotted the dim-witted man inspecting my bike. I snapped at him that we were standing in front the of the tienda. He had no idea what I was talking about. I filled up my 6 liter bag as I had no idea as to the duration of the climb or the severity of the wind. 20km? 50km? 100km? It didn’t matter. If I had 2 days of water and 2 days of food, I could make it to most places in most conditions. As I continued to climb the wind grew more fierce. Several times I could not stay on the road and had to put a foot down. But as I continued to climb the cheers and the honking increased in frequency and duration. The wind was violent and in my face and forcing me to climb out of the saddle in my lowest gear. I was riding at about 8km per hour. Yet I had fans, and I could not let them down. I saw Aconcagua in the distance and I thought of the first men to have climbed the peak at nearly 7,000 meters and of course there was wind, of course the climb was steep, of course the air thinned at altitude. I had just never encountered such a fierce headwind in my life, and thought it comical that it happens as I try to push 40 kilos of gear and a circus bicycle up a 3,900 meter peak into another country. The treeline disappeared and snow revealed itself on the proximate peaks. I stopped beside an old mining facility and opened a can of beans and ate with mayonnaise and crackers and mate. This meal gave the legs great life and I continued on my attack. Soon I reached a tunnel. Was this the tunnel, the tunnel that required a dismount and transport in a police truck? I stopped outside the tunnel to snap a few photos and a police truck stopped beside me. No, not this tunnel, he said, this one was only 800 meters. I could continue to ride if I liked, but the 3000 meter tunnel to Chile, that would require me to throw my bike in his truck. I rode the 800 meter tunnel and waited for the man. He arrived with a companion and we threw my bike in the truck and we rode the tunnel, pockmarked with paving stones and uneven surface, I was happy to be in the truck. One man was relatively local, from around the Andes. The other man lived near Mendoza but had lived in Ushuaia for many years and had seen battle with Great Britain during the battle of the Islas Molvinas. He had not been back to Ushuaia for 6 years but he still had family. When we emerged we were in Chile and they left and I rode a steep 4km descent to the immigration and filled out three forms and had my bags sniffed for contraband. I descended steep switchbacks for 30km and in the first 10km felt like the yellow jersey as honks and cheers filled the cold air of the Andes. A small tear fell from my left eye. 

I found a small restaurant and the men were watching the game. I ordered an empenata and it had raisins and olives and eggs and tomatoes and was served with a spicy salsa and cold beer. The game ended and I rode 6km to a campground, where Francecsa and her 4 year old son, Bastien, gave me a fine soft green space flanked by steep rocky peaks and a river.

He had four fingers on his left hand, his pinky merged with his ring finger.
He was a salesman. He was slightly portly and swollen with a cheap white shirt, a cheap black nylon suitcase, and his tie on the table. He gave me his tie, his rosary, and a plastic emblem of a local virgin.
He told me never to use the term “nativo,” which is used in Argentina and means “originally from a city.” He told me that all Chileans are native and in the south I’d be punched if I used the term.
The other, old man next to me was Peruvian and drank wine and had no teeth. He bought us a liter of beer and then left. The other men jeered me, the gringo, as they drank pitchers of wine. They poured me two glasses of their wine and we drank beer and wine and Leo told me of his tribe in the south. I could follow some of the history. Mayans are assassins, he told me. Aztecs are assassins. Hitler. USA assassins, puta madres. Japan overfishs and robs from Chile. USA robs from Chile. 

El pueblo unido, jamás será vencido. He was a communist he said, but communism was practically illegal. We chanted again: El pueblo unido, jamás será vencido. Apparently his tribe was not among the assassins. His tribe and his philosophy was of the pueblo. The pueblo, you see, is where the truth is, is where the truth lies. Politics are fake, all lies, all robbery, all fucking bitch mother ass, he insisted. He looked in my eyes and told me I was an angel. I began to worry. He gave me his rosary, tie, and saint emblem. I went to my room and returned with the chimarrao from Porto Alegre. Leo was grateful for the chimmarao and told me he would guard it closely and put it in his suitcase. The Peruvian laughed—this wasn’t quite the “intercambio cultural” that Leo had expected: something Chilean for something Gaucho and Brazilian. But it was all that I had. I couldn’t give him my watch and I needed my cycling gear. The chimarrao was useful but I used my water bottle to drink mate. All I needed was the Brazilian bomba. We split another liter of beer and Leo grew more vivacious and pulled out his smartphone and played Chilean, Argentinean and American hairspray metal and put the phone close to my ear and ask my to translate the American music. He told me again that I was an angel that was there to save him. At that point I was wearing his tie and his rosary.

As the night wore on, Leo asked if I was hungry and we stumbled out the barren wooden bar and walked about the city. We happened upon a café with an expensive menu. But it had the German beer that Leo had spoken about from the South, the German beer, as even though Leo was a man from a tribe he had German blood and liked German beer.

Something turned sour just then. Leo recommended a Mexican plate and I was perplexed. Why didn’t we go to a cheap spot for empenadas or a parilla for some grilled meat? Why were we in a tourist trap? He mentioned that I might like a burger and fries instead. Why was he souring? Perhaps it was the end of the day, perhaps he had too many beers. The food came and it was fine and I was famished and so began to eat. I split the food and put half on his plate and he would nibble and then put the food on my plate. He chain smoked and called a friend. As I will still eating he put his plate on top of the uneaten food and said we would go to his friend’s parilla. I was perplexed—wasted food and a huge bill? I paid and we walked towards his friend’s parilla at which point he said we would get on a bus to Dos Rios, one hour away. It was 9 o’clock and dark. I told Leo that it was out of the question, that I had to call my mother and that I had my belongings in the hotel and could not travel at night just to eat at his friend’s parilla. 

He walked with me angrily back to the inn. We sat down and I told him we would drink another beer and I would walk him to the bus station. I hadn’t realize he lived an hour away. He looked me in the eye, drunkenly, and said: “Quiero te pegar.” In my experience this word means three things: to fuck, to surf, or to punch. There were no waves, and the remaining two choices required me to stand up in rage and challenge my confused or angry friend. I asked in rage: What do you mean, pegar, huh? Leo’s face whitened and he told me to sit down. I told him I was a man who liked women and I motioned to a large bottle to break over his head. He seemed confused. He backpedaled and told me that no, his friend wanted to pegar. Again, I motioned to the bottle. His friend wanted to fuck or fight me? I drunken man walked by and I stopped him. I asked him, in his opinion, what was meant by "pegar." Apparently it mean punch, but he put his arm around me and patted me on the back and told me to calm down. I turned to Leo in deeper rage. He whitened a lighter shade. I told him I was there to make friends but was prepared to fight. What did he want? I was wearing the man’s rosary. I calmed down a bit and told him to stand up. I have him a hug, told him he was my friend, and I went to my room to get my fighting knife to put in my jeans. Leo walked away to drink more. A few minutes later I heard a knock at my door. It was Leo, and he had a young woman with him, Teresera. He left her at my door and I spoke with her clumsily. Your friend is strange, I told her. She agreed. In politeness I told her we could drink later with her friends but for the moment I was occupied.The door to my room had no lock but two rings for a padlock and I locked my door with my padlock and proceeded to the internet and telephone booth tienda.


I remember one broma from Leo--Yo estaba en los Estados Unidos desde hace veinte años, y yo no era feliz. Yo estaba en Chile durante 2 semanas y tuve la sífilis. It rhymes. This is why one laughs.

I used the internet and called my mother. I then walked the streets and bought a can of beer. When I arrived back at the inn Teresera and the old woman were waiting for me with two liters of beer. Teresera asked me if I wanted beer or wine, and I said wine, and the old woman went into the kichen for a half liter of wine in a pitcher and a glass. The three of us drank until midnight. I told them about my cycling and the mountains but Teresera kept asking me if I was lonely and if I wanted to spend the day with her eating empenadas and seeing the town. I thought of another night in the windowless shithole for 10,000 pesos with the crazy fingerless Leo and and the dunk belligerent men and the heavy cigarette smoke and the chance my belongings would be gone at any moment. I took Tereresa’s hand and stroked it. I told her I would go in the morning and that I needed liberty. She looked away from me. She had been waiting for me for two hours and had just killed 2 liters of beer that she had intended for the both of us. She got up and could barely stand. She stumbled to the door. I went to my room and latched the door.

I awoke early in the morning and was happy to be free of the dark prison. The 130km ride to Vina del Mar was mostly flat and tranquil with many vineyards and flanked by mountains with a slight wind and climb at the end. I ate the two finest empenadas of my life as a local woman listened to excellent Chilean rock music. I arrived in Vina del Mar and it was heavily touristed but pleasant, reminding me of Nice. 

 Local radio DJs and one of the fellas who worked at the hostel.
 Urs, Gustavo, and a Frenchman who lived in the hostel.
 Gustavo negotiating with the Frenchman, Mexican style.