Sunday, May 19, 2013

Toulhin a Ushuaia




At 4:30 the two Brazilian girls left the common area and I was alone after a long time. I thought I could stay up the rest of the night but in a few minutes began to sleep on the cushions. After 2 hours I made it to my bed and then awoke at 8:20 as Carlos was departing for the end of the world, Puerto Williams, and we needed to eat one last breakfast together and I needed to take the bottles from the common area and wash all the glasses from the night before. In the hallway were his bags. A great warrior and cyclist, Carlos was listo. We exchanged the common greeting: “Buenos dias campion.” “Buenos dias, maestro.” We had been riding together since just south of Coyhaique but now he was headed south and I was on my way back north to finish the route to the north of Brasil I had started back many months ago.

We ate pan and dulce de leche and Carlos drank coffee and I drank yerba mate and in between bites we got the gear outside, then the bike, then finished eating. A final embrace, and Carlos rode off to a boat he had found the day before.

Yesterday I began to ride to the national park when I ran into the French couple on their bicycles, now empty of their gear. They were trying to sell their trailers and their bags and their bikes, so when they were asked about their gear they made a hard sell and if you really wanted to know you were asked to buy.
 The French snapped a photo of me in front of a sign in Ushuaia with the “Fin del Mundo” slogan, but just North of Puerto Williams it wasn’t quite accurate. I remembered there was a sign because I had seen the photos but I didn't care when I had arrived. No, Carlos was off to the fin del mundo and would stay there for perhaps a week until the next boat. 

I rode back to the hostel with the French and there was Juan and there was Carlos and with the five of us maybe we were the last to get to Ushuaia on bicycles before the snow got thick on the roads for the winter.
 I spent the night speaking with Carlos, a fella from Spain, Thais, and Talita and it was tough to change back to the Portuguese. Carlos joined us and we drank wine and beer and fernet and I hadn’t realized Carlos could speak such Portuguese, he faulted nothing and was fluent and I realized I needed to get things going with the Portuguese with a flight to Rio in a few days. Then Todor came to join us and I tried my best to speak the Bulgarian but a whole lot of Castellano came out instead but Todor was patient and it was soothing and it made me happy and I felt at home with the Brazilians to the left of me and the Bulgarian to the right of me, a great manner to stead the course. 

In the morning Todor and I spoke about returning to Bulgaria and we spoke of banitza and boza and kiselo mlyako and I knew I had to get back soon, but not before I had to get back to the land I had left too soon to get down South here just North of the end of the world as they call it here in Ushuaia but not down there South in Puerto Williams.  

I worked hard in the mountains from the Panadaria Union in Toulhin to Ushuaia, 104km in 6 hours flat. Paso Garibaldi wasn’t that bad and it was pretty with snow and the brakes were shot so it was good the roads didn’t have the ice on the turns. The roads and the mountains and the snow made me think of Colorado and I rode fast because I remembered it always rained around 2 in the mountains and rain would be bad in the cold and on the descent, so I rode real fast and got to Ushuaia while there was still sunlight. When I passed the first signs into Ushuaia a man stopped in his car and motioned for me to pull over. He had ridden Ushuaia to Alaska in 2000 and told me I was crazy, he was crazy, my bicycle was crazy, and would I like a coffee or a yerba mate or anything else I needed. But I had to get to the camping because it was all I knew about the city. I got to the center of town and asked a real nice fellow about the Andino camping that had the lodge with the view of the city in the mountains and he said the route was a bit complicated to follow so why didn’t I follow him in his car and we could make our way to the camping. There was a climb, he said, but no problem, I said. But like most climbs in any city at the end of a long ride they are always the steepest and come when the legs run out of gas but I couldn’t let down Pedro, he was watching me and I needed to ride strong because he could only pull over and wait so many times as I rode up the steep climbs in downtown Ushuaia. We arrived at the camping and Pedro told me it was tough to find work after Kirchner stopped the imports. He couldn’t do his work without the trade and so he worked as a cashier. He was a smart man and he gave me great help when I was tired and lost and he gave me his contact information and told me if I needed any help I could call. 

The camping was closed for the season and there was a young Brazilian keeping watch over the place and he had cycled from Brasil as well. He was cooking bread in a pot on the stove and he had learned the recipe from an Irishman and it had a bit of salt in it but it was good and hot and it was his first bread and the first bread is always tough and always an experiment. But the camping was closed and I had to descend back to the city center with the shot brakes and I put the boots down hard to brake the bike but the bike was too heavy so I ran with the bike down the hills as I couldn’t risk losing control of the bike and skidding into somebody and wiping them out so far south. I found a place to sleep and there was Carlos with his bike in front of the same place and he had just arrived and so we both had made it.